1. Health - Heart disease runs in my family, so does being overweight, diabetes...etc., etc. So one reason I run is to stay ahead of the curve so to speak. I don't want to have to make up for weight gained, or fitness lost when I am older because I know it is so much harder if you don't get into a good groove now and make it a habit.
3. "Me"time - This is the time where I don't have to worry about bills, or laundry, or lesson plans for school, dogs, kids, dirty dishes...you get the picture. I can just run and all I have to think about is the next walk break, or the hill coming up, or how beautiful it is outside...that's it. It is kind of like my tv/zone out time - except it's just not on the couch in front of the tv...
|She obviously needs a good run!|
5. Challenge - I also like the fact that running isn't easy. I don't care if you are running 3 miles or 30 miles. It is physically and mentally hard. I like that as I get older I challenge myself a little more. I know I am no spring chicken - maybe a trail chicken but that is for another post. I know that I will never win much less place in my age division. The fact is, I am still getting off my butt and doing it and things that I never imagined I could 8 years ago, I am doing now. I had no intention of EVER running a marathon - but I did two. I NEVER in my life ran back to back long runs and last week I pulled off a 20 and then a 10 miler. So as Justin B. says - Never say Never! :-)
6. Confidence - I think that kind of goes along with stepping up to the challenge. I feel a little better about myself now that I am running. I walk a little taller, stand up for what I believe a little more.
7. Makes me a better _______ - fill in the blank on that one...wife/mom/daughter/sister/friend...Running always puts me in a good mood. I have never come back home from running and wished I hadn't done it. I think sometimes my husband probably wishes I would go run when I am grouchy...I come back a totally different person...calm and relaxed and I feel like I can tackle anything the day has to throw at me since I was able to tackle the 5 miler.
8. Because I can.... - I have run before because I didn't know what else to do...when something bad has happened, or something has made me really sad - sometimes I will run because I need to go out...think for myself and just deal with stuff...this doesn't happen very often, but I know that I always have that in my pocket when I need to use running that way.