Sunday, October 2, 2011

Just keep running...Just keep running...

Wow what a week!  I had so much fun last weekend at the race.  I realized that I only needed 10 more miles after Sunday to reach 150 miles for the month and so I ran both Tuesday and Wednesday and got to 150!  Woo Hoo!  Highest mileage ever and up until a few months ago, that was unthinkable for me!
In May and June I was way below 100 miles for the month, then I really started running with NTX friends and setting goals and look what happened!
Thank you runner friends....

This week called for my  longest run so far in training for this race - a 20 miler.  I haven't done 20 miles in a year and a half when I had that terrible marathon meltdown race in 2010.  I think I did one 20 miler in training for that race and then ran the race.  And for some reason, the number 20 is a mental wall for me...Tell me I have to run 19 and I wouldn't be worried, but when that number in the tens place changes from a 1 to a 2 and I flip out!  (Note to self: It is going to change to a 3 in about a month. -- Excuse me while I have a panic attack!)....

So I set out on my long run Saturday morning.  Let me tell you, there is no doubt in my mind that I couldn't  have done this on my own.  Thankfully I had friends meeting me to run.  A few friends met me at 5:30 to start, then at 6:30 we dropped off one and met two more, at 7:30 we were back to pick up one more, back at 8:30 to drop everyone off but my friend Shannon that had started at 5:30 with me.  At 17.5 miles, I dropped her off so she could go and get ready for an afternoon trip to the state fair and I went out and ran the longest 2.5 miles of the day.  But the key was, I ran them.  I thought about walking them in, but I couldn't bring myself to do that.  I took my usual walk breaks and also a pit stop at the bathroom, but I ran my little legs off until that Garmin beeped at 20.0 and not any sooner.  I had to have that number 20 on my watch to prove to myself that not only could I do it, I just did...and you know what...I didn't feel that bad!  It was hard, don't get me wrong...but I didn't fall over and die or anything!  (In fact, I stretched, got in the car, and went to the boys' soccer game...I'm sure I looked really fabulous and there was probably a reason no one sat by me...but hey, I'm okay with that...I just ran 20 miles!)

This morning I met my friend Catherine for a 10 miler.  The weather was absolutely gorgeous!  Six months ago if you told me that I would be able to run 20 and then 10 I would have laughed you out the door...in fact, 10 miles was my long run.  Today it felt great!  Along with good conversation and a bunch of laughs, it always goes by faster.  I must say I have learned that running with Catherine will give me stomach cramps.  She always has something funny that gets me laughing and my stomach cramps up.  I think she does it on purpose when she wants a walk break :-) 

After this weekend of running, I am a firm believer in the power of the Saltstick caps and the Zensah leg sleeves.  I used the caps when I ran the 16 miler a few weeks ago and felt so good that I started using them religiously on my long runs.  Love, love, love them!  I feel so good and the leg sleeves are awesome!  It is amazing how just a few little things can affect a run!  They both made a huge difference!


My new love...
Zensah leg sleeves...
So these are my can't run withouts...Do you have anything you absolutely love on a long run?


No comments:

Post a Comment