Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Pike's Peak - So many emotions....

I feel like this summer has flown by! I am so glad we have gotten back into some routine with school and schedules, because I always feel so out of sorts when I have to try and get my training in when my schedule is so different from week to week. Does anyone else feel that way?

This summer has been filled with trying to train for Pike's Peak and also for Redman 70.3 in Oklahoma City in September.

Pike's Peak didn't turn out exactly as planned...the plan was to finish at the top of the mountain and only cover 13 miles...In reality, I finished at the bottom of the mountain with 17 miles covered...#longesthalfmarathonEVER

The day before the race we drove to the top of Pike's Peak and it was about 1:00pm when we got to the top and it was nasty and hailing, and all I could think was that this time tomorrow I would be up here and if it hailed on me and started lightening - bad things could happen. I started panicking about my safety and my own mortality...it was nuts...I was sooo worried I made myself sick...there were tears -  lots of them...

Race day came and I was calmed down and excited...The weather was beautiful and the trail was gorgeous. I had come to the realization I would just take what the day gave me.  Two days before race day we learned that if we didn't make the cutoff - the only way to get back down was to hike back down what you came up.  I had that looming in the back of mind too...Must. Get. To. Top.



Off we go, and the first few miles - even the road that we ran the first mile up to join the trail - was SUPER steep...Royce and I were running and then walking and running and walking...We had decided to try some type of interval but we were going to start that on the trail...But really once we got to the trail, it was just one long line of people...You really couldn't run if you wanted to.  It was a steep hike up the W's - which is just the part of Barr trail that is switchback after switchback...My lower back was on fire...it hurt so bad...I would pull over to stretch it out and start back in the line of people...I had to make a conscious effort to stand straight up as I hiked...


I finally told Royce to go on because I knew he was slowing down for me and I knew he had been training much more for this than I had and was in beastmode right now...If he missed a cutoff because of me, I was going to be mad.  So finally he went on.

The first cutoff was 10:30 am at Barr camp which was 7.6 miles in and at the elevation of 10,200' which was an elevation gain of 3,900' from the start.  I thought the cutoff was 3 hours from when your wave started started - not the last wave...so my wave started at 7:18 and the last wave started at 7:30.  I got to the 4.3 mile aid station and the lady said that we had until 10:30 to get to Barr camp...this shocked me...I thought I had until 10:18...those 12 minutes made a huge difference so I asked her again if that was right...yup...10:30 because I was almost convinced I was going to turn around there at the 4 mile aid station because I was pretty sure I wouldn't make the first cut off...but then I knew I had to at least try...I came all this way...12 minutes extra was huge at that point...so off I went onwards and upwards to Barr Camp...just get there...

I constantly had an eye on my watch and my mileage. After the aid station it flattened out enough that I could actually run - so I did...I had to...



The trail was gorgeous and I chatted with people along the way...met one guy who has done this race every year for 30 or so years...amazing...lots of people come back every year...one lady who had done it twice before and always missed the second cut off...she was hoping this was her year to make it up...one guy who did it last year and told me this was much harder than the Ironman he did...

I just have to get up that mountain in the background --- the one with no trees on top!

Finally, I saw the aid station and knew I made it. I had 9 minutes to spare!  Which means that I came into that aid station at 3 hours and 3 minutes...3 minutes OVER what I thought cut off was...those 12 minutes were crucial...

Now I had an extra 9 minutes to add to my time to get to A Frame - the second cutoff and where the tree line was...Off I go...immediately the terrain went from what was somewhat flatter (if that is even possible) to another steady climb.  I had one hour and 24 minutes to go 2.6 miles and gain 1,700 feet with less oxygen.  I started hitting switchbacks again and everyone was slowing down to a crawl but still trying to just keep moving forward...
This was on the way back down...

So pretty...
I finally had to come to the realization that I wasn't going to make the 2nd cutoff. I was a little over 9 miles in and I had 20 minutes to go one mile.  Not gonna happen...I was rocking a 37 minute mile at that point.  I never felt bad or out of energy...I just couldn't move fast enough - which looking back may have been oxygen related...I don't know - I really felt good.  I finally came to the realization when others started coming back down the trail...So I finally turned around too.  I got to a search and rescue point around mile 9 and they had service so I texted my husband and told him I was headed back down the mountain.

8 mile walk of shame down the mountain

Up and down....
On the way back down, I hiked and just enjoyed the trail...not worried about time cutoffs and finally able to really take it all in and appreciate the beauty and wonder of where I was.  I met a super sweet friend, Yvette, and we hiked the way back down and talked and some how even though I had told her I wasn't coming back to this race, she had me second guessing my statement before we were even back down!  I'm pretty sure she would fit right in with my running peeps up here in Dallas that are always talking me into crazy stuff!


So I finished the day with 17 miles total...not the race I had planned...but honestly, I am not too terribly disappointed...I mean yeh it sucked to not finish what I started, but I did something totally outside of my comfort zone and actually enjoyed it.  I really want to go back with my husband and hike the trail on our own some time...

As far as the race goes, I can't express how well that race was put on.  Aid stations, volunteers that hike in to the trails on Friday and camp out until Sunday so you can have food and water as you go up....Search and Rescue between every aid station and on horseback...I never once felt worried for my safety...Very well put on race...Kudos to the race director and all who volunteered!


Would I do it again? Totally.  Will I go back next year? Not sure...I need to requalify and I want a fast time when I do requalify...so maybe not this year but I will be back...




No comments:

Post a Comment