So we arrive at Muleshoe Bend Park in Austin about 6:45pm and the temperature reads 108. My mom was texting me from the hotel that the news was saying it was the hottest day of the year in Austin. Oh well...already signed up for the race...gotta do it....So we get ready, pick up our bib numbers, get our super cool shirts, and wait and watch as the 60k people head out on their trek, then 15 minutes later out go the 30K people, and finally at 7:30 we get our air horn start and off go the 10kers...
|Before the race at the starting line...|
|Part of the trail before it got dark...|
|Feeling strong at mile 2....|
|Definitely earned this one...|
|Someone in this picture got chicked at the finish line....|
1. Don't ever underestimate the power of heat.
2. Hydrate properly before the race...AWAYS!
3. Never ever travel in the woods without tp!
4. I'm not afraid of the dark...who knew...
5. I can do anything I put my mind to...sometimes I forget this one...and I need a humbling experience like this to remind me...The last time I was taught this lesson was about mile 17 of my last marathon...that one sucked too...but I finished it and survived :-)
So where to go from here...well this week I am going to continue with my training plan which calls for:
Tuesday - 3 miles
Wednesday - 4 miles
Thursday - 6 miles
Saturday - 10 miles on the trail
Sunday - 5 miles
I am also going to continue icing that IT band and stretching because man, it was screaming at me on those trails...I have to get that in check. There were a couple of times that I almost fell because the pain was so sharp and so sudden that it just caught me off guard. It doesn't hurt all the time, just if I step just right on it. It is very random...which drives me crazy!
|Happy Birthday to me!|
As far as food, I did log all my calories and put on my Bodybugg Friday night so I have kept track of all that even while not at home - that is always my biggest challenge. Although I did splurge at the Cupcake Trailer in Austin and got a cupcake for my birthday...