Sunday, June 9, 2013

Collin Classic Bike Rally...Report

Well this was only my second bike rally...the first one was Hot Rocks last year.  I wasn't really trained up for this like I was Hot Rocks...In fact, I wasn't really trained up at all...I hadn't ridden more than 56 since Redman in September and I hadn't ridden more than 35 once!  So here goes nothing....

Catherine, Me, and Teri...Ready to ride...


Once again, there were bikes EVERYWHERE!  We were towards the front since the 64 milers were going out first, and the shorter routes were following...The announcer said that there were 2700 bikes out there!
We were in the front of the pack....and this is what was in front of us!



Bikes, Bikes, and more bikes...


The first half of the ride was fairly easy...no wind, no hills...the last half...well, that was harder...I was tired...and there were hills and plenty of wind...Luckily it was a gorgeous day and I was riding with two of the funniest people I know to keep me sane...Because by mile 56, I was okay with never seeing my bike again...I was tempted to get off, throw in the corn field, and run the rest of the way to the finish line...honestly that sounded better than biking 1 more second...my body parts hurt and I was a tad grouchy...By mile 60, I was in better spirits...and finished up feeling good...glad to get off the bike, but good...

I have learned over the last year how important it is to eat on the bike and I did that just fine yesterday...eating has never been a problem for me -- on the bike or off, obviously...the problem was I didn't know I had to do it while biking...who knew...

I look forward to long rides this summer to train up for Redman in September...And how could you not look forward to long rides when you get to go out and get a new bike!  Yep, my wonderful husband let me get a new bike today...I got a tri bike...I am super excited...I have really wanted one since Redman....I couldn't justify it for the shorter tri's...but I can honestly say the 70.3 is my favorite distance...I've only done one, yes...but I like the challenge...It is just enough for me right now...
Meet...Butter Baby....

As we were driving to the bike store today, I realized my tri-versary was actually coming up. So I looked up all my results online...yep, June 11, 2006 was my first sprint triathlon down in Austin...I did it on a mountain bike with road wheels...that was so hard!!  Then after I liked it, I bought an actual road bike...Since then, I have done 19 triathlons in 7 years...and the funny thing is - I took 3 years off in the middle of all that...so really 19 tri's in 4 years...and guess what...when all the running and stuff is said and I done...I came back to the triathlon...It took my good friend DK to do one last summer with me to light that flame again...and I am so glad she did...I really think triathlons and I are going to have a long and wonderful relationship...The guy at the bike shop today told me it took him 17 years to do an Ironman 140.6...so hey, there is still time... :-)

Alicia + Tri's = LOVE 

3 comments:

  1. Nice job... Cool new ride.... 70.3 is a fave... But 140.6 is more fun... You'll se PE :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bike is beau-ti-ful (and I'm not even an avid rider!). Sounds like a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you, Babe. You are still my heroine!

    ReplyDelete